Keeping in theme with yesterday’s post about menus and dinners, I wanted to share with you one of our family’s favorite meals. This is a delicious, easy, creamy, mac and cheese recipe that you are sure to love!
Image via Food Network
1/2 lb. bacon
1 box small shell pasta
1/3 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1. Cook bacon until crispy. Chop and set aside for later.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
3. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add shell pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
4. In a 3 quart saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and toss in chopped onion. Saute until onion is tender.
5. Stir flour into saucepan with onions. Cook for about 1 minute, until smooth and bubbly; stirring occasionally. Mix in milk, cream cheese, salt, and pepper. Continue cooking until sauce is thickened. Add cheddar cheese and stir until melted. Stir in shell pasta.
6. Pour into 2 quart casserole dish. (Optional – top with additional shredded cheese.) Sprinkle cooked bacon on top. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and heated through.
After Christmas we had a ton of left over ham, so we even substituted the bacon topping for mixing in chopped ham. It was quite yummy as well, so feel free to mix it up a bit and enjoy!
What’s your family’s favorite dinner?